Sunday, June 10, 2012


I just want to say that I am so thankful to God that we have this opportunity to share His love with so many people here in Ethiopia, who are so much less fortunate than we are. I think the main thing that has stood out to me the most so far, is the way that the Christians here are so much more thankful, and express their joy than most people in America.


Today we awoke to some kind of parade or something outside of our hotel and all through the streets, and I was later informed that it was a parade of mourning, probably signifying the death of someone of some kind of significance. The culture here is so shockingly different. There was also a chorus of barking dogs, probably strays, that joined the parade, and also the daily call to prayer, before the sun was even out. We met for breakfast and had a team meeting, praying and planning for the day, and the VBS that will be taking place the rest of this week. 


After a delicious breakfast, we again loaded into the van, that is super shady and scares me a little bit, and traveled the cobblestone roads from Addis into Burayu, where we met with the pastor of the Full Gospel Church of Burayu in a local coffee shop. The macchiatos that we drank were by far the best tasting coffee I have ever had. 


We walked down the street a ways, and Pastor Emmanuel led us into the church building, and led all ten of us up onto the stage, where they had seats waiting for us. Dale introduced our team to the whole church. I was so overcome with emotion when the choir stood up and led the church in worship. I was thinking so much today about how awesome it is that even though I have no idea what these people are saying, by their body language, tone, and expression you know they are filled with the holy spirit. We worship the same God here in Africa as we do back in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, it is just in a much much different way. Different language, different culture, different continent, the same HUGE amazing and all powerful God! I started crying tears of pure joy when I leaned over to Samuel, one of the church leaders and asked him what the people were singing. He told me that they were singing about how they will never forget all that God has has done for them, but they thank Him because he has done so much, and He is so good. Wow! They are having church inside a building that has been built with sheets of metal for walls, and a tarp for a roof. Why am I not as thankful as them? I have so much more. I guess the church really is the body of believers and not the building. Cool! I started crying another round of tears of joy when at the end of the church service, they had an altar call, and five people came up and dedicated their lives to Christ for the first time. I had no idea what they were praying, but I did know that I am going to see those beautiful men and women again someday in the kingdom of heaven! Praise God.


One of our big goals this week is going to be to connect the kids who are sponsored through GGI to their sponsor back at home. Today we gathered as many of those children together as we could, and took pictures with them so that we can show their sponsor how they are progressing. It was such a blessing for me to get to spend more time with the little boy I sponsor, Fraol, and meet his beautiful mother. What an honor! We played with the kids, taught them how to high five, and Audrey led them in a new song to them, head shoulders knees and toes! It was precious. They are such a blessing. We got to visit four of the homes of sponsored children today, hoping to find out how we can meet specific needs, and bless them in the most helpful way. We have found that a lot of them need beds and mattresses, because a lot of them sleep on the dirt floor. Pray that we will be able to find good deals on beds and bedding so we can get them up off the ground, out of the dirt, and away from all the critters that love to crawl all over them. One thing about todays home visits that stood out to me most, was a sign that I saw hanging on one of the mud walls. I asked one of the school officials to translate it for me, and it said, "We thank God because he is good to us". They are so thankful and so full of joy, that it leads me to tears on a constant basis. 


We prepared tonight for VBS tomorrow, and shared a lot of good laughs over dinner tonight. Please be praying that we will have a spirit of flexibility as we go into this week with a plan, but not knowing exactly what is in store. We have already seen that things are very subject to change here in Ethiopia. Pray that we will have the energy to keep loving these kids as much as they need. I have already found it to be very rewarding and awesome, but it takes a lot out of me. It has not been easy for me to put mind over matter. I look at the places they live and how dirty their faces are, and the flies literally in their eyes, and have a hard time not crying. So I have... A lot! Next week should be the first week in the new church building for the Full Gospel Church of Burayu, so be praying that that gets completed on time. Also, please pray that the Lord will make an impact on these children's hearts this week as we tell them about God's plan for their life, how much He loves them, and how they can spend eternity with Him! I pray that I will be a vessel that God will use in whatever way He needs me. I hope He stretches me, and grows me in ways that I could have never expected. I am seeing that already.


To God be all the glory! Good night or Good morning :)
~ Jill and the GGI team











Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; He is the faithful God, keeping His covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love Him and keep His commands
Deuteronomy 7:9

No comments: