Saturday, July 9, 2011

Here's a post from Miles on his home stay.

As the school day drew to a close the rest of our party went back to Pastor Robert and Sarah’s house while for the night; John and I each walked home with a student to spend the night in their homes. I got to go home with Brenda and George. Brenda is the cutest little 10 year old, beautiful teeth and a gorgeous smile, she reminds me of Fivel from the Disney movie. Brenda had bragged about how her friend the Muzungu was coming to her house, but then she was too shy to hold my hand. She spent the evening peeking at me from around the corner flashing that beautiful smile. Her older sister Ida speaks fluent English though not as clear as you might expect, and she was my translator. Ida is an enthusiastic bubbly 22 year old with a big heart. Together with her Mama, they care for George, Brenda, Wilberforce and for 4 other orphans Judy, Sharon, Joshua and Brenda #2, all under age 10.

Ida gave me the tour of their place and showed me how they gathered food. We picked a pumpkin, casaba and some avocados. After she showed me how she and Mama had cleared nearly a half an acre of jungle by hand to make ready for a potato garden, her countenance changed as she told me how her daddy had died and left them all alone. I could hardly keep back the tears as she remembered how much she loved him. Later we picked up jerry cans and made the ¾ mile trek to get water. Ida was chattering all the way and George was close behind. I even tried to balange the container on my head as skillfully as Ida could... she just laughed at me and so did all the neighbors that saw it. As it drew dark I sat down it the little hut with Ida to eat. They put before me an enormous plate of steamed pumpkin, casaba and a green soup that had a flavor I cannot describe, it had a sandy texture. You know its going to be different when the best thing theycan say about a dish is, "its good for your gall bladder." Ida had told me earlier that when visitors don’t eat it is because they don’t love you …so I did the best I could. The food was bland but very hot, no spices to tease the taste buds. They all thanked God for his bounty ate it eagerly and quickly because there was much work to do with very little light left.

After dinner, Ida poured out her heart; she prays every day that God would bring her a good godly husband, that she can get money to fix the roof because they have to stand up all night whenever it rains and that she could get enough support to open an orphanage. It was heart breaking as she talked about how she has to travel so far each day for work to make a tiny amount of money to buy things like oil for the lamp and time for her phone which is indespensible, although I think they use it for a flashlight more than anything else. The children gathered round and we looked at pictures on my digital camera until Mama said it was bed time. They sang the most beautiful hymn and then everyone prayed … together… out loud. As I listened to their beautiful voices in song and heard them pray, I couldnt help but think that these are the ones Jesus spoke of when he said, "the kingdom of God is for such as these." The last thing Ida said to me before going to bed was that I shouldn’t be afraid of the rats. I kicked one off my feet about 11:00 pm and they could be heard scurrying across the tin roof throughout the night.

In the morning I awoke to the voices of the children and everyone in the house praying. When they awake each day they sit up and begin to praise God… all together… out loud. I was humbled by their faith, hard work and cheerful attitude. Truly, these people are the ones Jesus meant when he said, “blessed are the poor.” No Breakfast, the children and I were off to school by 6:20 am with Mama and Ida following just behind waving good bye.

Once the children arrive to school an hour early, they immediately pick up brooms and begin cleaning the school grounds. When everything is nice and tidy, they hurry to class 20 minutes before the teachers arrive and begin to study in preparation for the days lessons. So that’s how I spent the 4th of July.

Miles

Photos: Children getting their daily water and fresh gourd for dinner
















No comments: